Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Reflections of Paul's English Class

For five years I have been a wife/stay at home mother. For five years I have been craving going back to school. I have been craving adult conversation. I speak fluent baby language. Being in this class has made such a difference in my life. To be able to discuss things, whether simple or not, has been a great release for me. Granted, I found the class to be more political than my Social Ethics class, I really enjoyed it. It was stressful at times, with so many papers due in so little time. But, at the same time it was a little bit of a stress reliever as well. There was such a wide variety of students in the class, ranging from 18 to 40. Having said that, everyone has their own sets of morals and beliefs, so the discussions at times became very heated. I learned alot from Paul, and the students in the class. I came out of that class with a knowledge much greater than coming into the class. I didn't realize there would be presentations so I wasn't quite ready for the power points. I haven't always been one for public speaking, so I was glad ot get it over with. Half the stuff we watched and read I would probably have never read at my own leisure. Supersize Me really grossed me out, but I do think I have a different take on fast food now. I always knew it was unhealthy, but after watching that I have slowed down on the intake. I would have never known what the actual lyrics meant in Born In the U.S.A. I don't really care for the song much anymore like I did growing up. The one thing I would change is the Synthesis essay. As much as I enjoyed reading a 454 page book and watching a movie, it was probably the most stressful time this semester for me. I guess it just took up alot of time and with the three other classes I was taking, two kids and a husband, everything took a toll on me already. I probably should have come back to school slowly, but I made it through! I have alot more respect for literature in general now. Before coming in, I honestly was going to compare the class with my senior year of high school english class. I take that back. My senior year has nothing on Paul's class! I was able to relate to Paul, and for me that was great. Any other instructor would not have been as leniant or understanding of situations that were out of my control. It was great to be able to keep in touch through e-mails and know that if I had an issue I would hear back from Paul within an hour or so. If I had the chance to do it all over again, I wouldn't have any other instructor. It was a great beginning to the rest of my college experience!

No comments: