Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Born In The U.S.A.



This song was released in 1984. It was written by Bruce Springsteen and he wrote this about the problems Vietnam veterans faced when they came back to America. Those vets were ignored when returning, unlike most other's vets who received welcome mats. Originally it was titled "Vietnam." As Paul said, this song is widely misinterpreted. I know I thought it was a song about living in the land of the free and was supposed to be joyful. Was I ever wrong. In my opinion I don't feel that he is proud to be from America at all. Granted there are many Vietnam vets who are homeless and we, meaning our government, did not open our arms to their return. The boy's brother goes to Vietnam and meets a woman there. Unfortunately, he loses his life in Vietnam and his wife only has a picture to remember him by. Growing up I am pretty positive the only part I really listened to was the chorus. Strangely, I always try to listen to the lyrics and picture what is happening in the song. I guess I never did that until discussing this song in class. Now listening to it and knowing what it really means, I find the song very unpatriotic. I do enjoy that proud Americans can use his song in a purpose that is not intended; a slap in Bruce's face.

http://www.springsteenlyrics.com/lyrics/d/downboundtrain_alb-bitusa.jpg

1 comment:

Paul G. said...

What is the definition of patriotic? Believing in one's government or one's country persons?